In this article we will show some of the best download manager applications for Linux Ubuntu and similar distros. This kind of software is a must for every new and professional Linux user. You will hopefully find some guidance to choose the right download manager that suits your needs. Let’s get started.
Persepolis is an open source free application written in Python. It is a download manager that supports many OS platforms and is available for Linux, Windows, BSD and MacOS. It has a nice user interface that can fit with your system theme offering users a smooth and seamless download experience.
Linux download software Persepolis
Here are some features of Persepolis:
- A clean and simple theme compliant GUI
- Free to download
- Multi-segment download support
- Downloads scheduling
- Downloads queueing
- Download videos from DailyMotion,Vimeo, YouTube, …
- Multiple browser integration such as Chrome, Firefox and Vivaldi
To install Persepolis, run the following commands:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:persepolis/ppa
sudo apt update
sudo apt install persepolis
You can visit Persepolis website here.
Steadyflow is a GTK+ based download application for GNOME. This download manager features a clean codebase that aims for minimalism, simplicity and ease of use. It can be easily controlled from the GUI as well from the terminal, i.e. command line.
SteadyFlow has the following features :
- Supports multiple file downloading at once
- File Downloading stop and resume capability
- A simple, easy to use with a GTK+ library based GUI
- Integration with Chrome/Chromium via “ChromeFlow” extension
- Captures URLs from the clipboard automatically
- Ability to execute certain commands once the downloaded file is completed
Read: How to speed up Linux
It can be installed using the commands below :
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:sikon/steadyflow
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install steadyflow
Xtreme Download Manager is a powerful application that allows users to speed up downloads by 500% as well as save videos from various channels such as YouTube,Vimeo Facebook, Google Video, DailyMotion and more than 1000 other websites. It can be integrated seamlessly within Mozilla Firefox Quantum, Google chrome,Vivaldi, Opera and other Firefox and Chromium and based browsers.
XDM Linux allows users convert the downloaded videos to many formats thanks a built in video converter functionality.
Ubuntu download manager
Here are some of the many features of XDM :
- Any streaming video download
- 5 time faster download speed
- Queued downloads with speed limiter
- Supports all browsers
- Smart scheduler
- Download resume feature
- Supports all proxy servers types
XDM can be installed from Noobslab ppa by running the commands below:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:noobslab/apps
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xdman
You can visit XDM website here.
You may want to read :How to install and uninstall applications on Ubuntu – A Beginner’s guide
uGet is a lightweight powerful open source cross platform download manager. This free application has many integrated features making it one of the best in the market :
- Simultaneous batch download
- Maximum download speed control per file/files
- Torrent and metalink files download
- Anonymous FTP (or via FTP Login) files download
- Download files from external list/clipboard
- Integration with Firefox FlashGot add-on
- Resume/Pause Downloads
- Multiple Sources/Mirrors
- Download completion tasks/actions
Best download manager for linux: Uget
uGet can be installed by executing the commands below :
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:plushuang-tw/uget-stable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install uget
You can visit uGet website here.
MultiGet is a file downloader for Linux/BSD/MacOs/Windows. This easy to use GUI based application is programmed in C++ and supports FTP/HTTP protocols.
Linux download manager
MultiGet has the following features :
- Supports file downloading from multiple servers which speeds up the download process.
- Allows users also to configure the number of threads
- Resume stopped downloads
- Automatic URL capture from the Clipboard
- Supports multi tasking with multi thread
- Also support SOCKS 4,5 proxy,4a, http proxy, ftp proxy
You can install MultiGet from the terminal using the command :
sudo apt-get install multiget
You can visit the project page here.
PyLoad, written in Python, is an open source free file download manager for Linux. It is a lightweight, fully manageable and easily expandable via web. It can be fully managed remotely thanks to its friendly Web GUI.
PyLoad supports all common container formats, video sites and most used web standards. It has several different plugins that are used for task automation so that unattended execution could be possible.
PyLoad has a well documented and a fully featured Application Programming Interface which is accessible and easily extendable by cross-platform apps, external tools or other applications.
To acquire PyLoad, visit the following Github page.
Contrary to the other featured applications in this article, DownThemAll is a Firefox plugin download manager for Ubuntu and not a program which can thus be used on any platform. This one of the best file downloading apps is very effective at performing its job since it can speed up your downloading operation by 400% !
DownThemAll has the following features :
- Resume download capability
- Simultaneous multiple file Download At Once
- File downloading speed control
- Grabs download links from Firefox automatically
- Downloads all images and links in a web page
- Settings customization for integration with Firefox
- SHA1, MD5 automatic checks after file downloading
To add “DownThemAll” plugin to your Firefox, you can visit this link.
FlareGet is multi-threaded fully featured download application and accelerator . It has a robust built in dynamic file segmentation mechanism which is used to speed up the download (4 in the Free version but 32 in the other paid version). FlareGet can automatically categorize the downloaded files based on the extension, thanks to its smart file management system. Downloads are therefore grouped in different directories according to their categories .
FlareGet has the following features :
- Supports Multi threading
- Integration with most common web browsers
- Support for HTTPS, HTTP and FTP protocols
- URL auto grabbing from the clipboard
- The GUI supports 18 different languages
KGet is auser friendly versatile download manager. It supports FTP , HTTP and HTTPs protocols. It allows resuming ,pausing and restarting file download. It offers metalink support which consists of multiple URLs for downloads as well as checksums and other useful information.
KGet has the following features :
- Provides rich information about active and pending downloads
- Can be Embedded into system tray
- Konqueror web browser Integration
To install KGet use the following commands :
sudo apt-get install kget
You can visit the KGet website here.
You have seen some of the best download managers in the market for Linux Ubuntu and similar distros. You may want to install more than one so that you can weigh in the pros and cons in order to finally select the one that suits best your needs. Let us know if you have other similar applications so that we can include them in later versions.
If you like the content, we would appreciate your support by buying us a coffe. Thank you so much for your visit and support.